Suggestions: column colors, global board and text labels

Hello!
First, thank you for simple but powerful tool!
I have tried Wekan and found it great for my needs.

But there are some suggestions, two of them is unimportant and one I want more:

1. Assosiate some colors to board columns, and mark cards (by line at left side of card, for example), according to columns color. This is a just visual effect, but it will looks great, as for me. For example, I can make column named ‘Delayed’ and all cards in this column will be marked as gray, or ‘Urgent’ with red color. Sure, card should auto-change color while draggin it into another column.

2. Make possibility to mark cards not only by little color boxes, but by labels with text inside, so marks like ‘Urgent’, ‘5 min tasks’ or similar can be readed on card itself (configurable, of course).

3. Most important thing for me.
    First, I want to describe my point of view on task managers. Kanban is great thing, but it does not allow more than one form of tasks view. It provides method for focusing on tasks status, but if I want to group tasks on one more property (project, for example) - I cannot.
    I should or use many boards and can see tasks that belongs to current project (board) only, or mix all tasks oin one board, what is not good also.

It will be great to get possibility to see all tasks with label ‘5 min tasks’ from all projects in one list, or see urgent tasks only, and then choose which task I will do now. After that, select one project (board) and focus on this project only and its tasks, without other cards from other projects.

Or, for example, one day I have decided to choose tasks for tomorrow at each evening (more than I can complete in one day), and choose next task from a list when I have completed current task. Saddenly, this was on Palm device, and no such suitable tools available now :frowning:

Maybe, I do not understand something, and you can suggest me best workflow with existing features?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
about your 3. most important thing, you are talking of clones feature that Wekan does not have yet.

There is Windows/Mac/Linux desktop based Qt/Python based Open Source software called Leo, http://leoeditor.com , there’s http://leoeditor.com/testimonials.html page that tells what people think about clones / multiple updating automatically cloned views feature. It’s mainly single-user, although last I tested it had read-only webbrowser view option also.

With current Wekan, you could for example have boards for “5 min tasks” and “urgent tasks” and on those boards have columns for TODO, Delayed, Doing, Done, Wontfix, and then drag tasks towards Done or Wontfix columns.

What is clones? Is it copy of original card, that starts to be different card with same content just after cloning? If yes, it is not my idea.

My idea is just to display some cards from different boards in other, special place. Just a new view for existing data, combined from several boards.
For example, filter can contain:

• boards (and columns inside boards) from which we will take cards
  • labels that cards should have to be displayed in such special place
  • maybe some other properties, such as ‘due date failed’ or similar (when such features will be implemented)

such cards can be not draggable, it is just a place to start, just for one purpose - to choose card that I want to take and work on it.

p.s. I’ll be glad to make some changes that can be useful for me, and, may be, for other people who uses Wekan. Sorry, english is not my native language, or may be I’m too stupid, but where can I read about how is wekan organized, to be able to make some changes to it in right way (and post such changes to community, of course, in case wekan gurus wil find them useful)?

Hi,
yes this forum is right place for suggestions. English is also not my native language, and I do understand your English very well.

in Wekan, data is shown in boards => columns => cards.

In Leo, data is shown in tree structure. Every part of tree has name of the leaf, and body part where more text can be written. Leafs can be dragged around, or moved with keyboard, new ones inserted. For example, Leo itself is made with Python, and all the 0.5 million lines of code is organized as tree structure, to make it logically organized and modified.

Leo is:

• Powerful Organizer: you can divide tasks into subtasks, dig into information, create multiple views to same data
  • Book editor: chapters and parts of book can be dragged around.
  • Outline editor
  • Programmable IDE: syntax highlighting for many programming languages, can divide code to parts.
  • All parts of tree structure can be accessed programmatically
  • Code can be brought into Leo XML file, or keep in separate code files, even so that tree structure is only shown and code managed in Leo and code does not need to have anything extra info added to those code textfiles to make Leo able to use it
  • buttons can be created to make some tasks happen

When you make clone of one tree part, change to one clone affects directly other clones.
Clones are not independent of each other, and do not have separate data, they all affect each other to make the data same.

For example, when there’s this kind of tree:
Root => sub leaf (child) => subsub leaf (child of sub leaf)

When you clone sub leaf, it also clones all of it’s children.

If you make change somewhere in clone sub leaf, or it’s children, all changes affects other sub leafs like a mirror.

You can also make clone of any part of tree structure, clone them to root level, to keep those visible you are working on currently. Make any changes you need, and when you don’t need clones anymore, delete the clones, leaving original tree structure.

For you idea, it would work this way:

Root
=> Project 1
===> 5 min tasks => task1, task2, task3, task4
===> urgent tasks => task1, task2, task3, task4
=> Project 2
===> 5 min tasks => task1, task2, task3, task4
===> urgent tasks => task1, task2, task3, task4
=> All 5 min tasks
===> 5 min tasks of Project 1 (clone) => task1 (clone), task2 (clone), task3 (clone), task4 (clone)
===> 5 min tasks of Project 2 (clone) => task1 (clone), task2 (clone), task3 (clone), task4 (clone)
=> All urgent tasks
===> urgent tasks of Project 1 (clone) => task1 (clone), task2 (clone), task3 (clone), task4 (clone)
===> urgent tasks of Project 2 (clone) => task1 (clone), task2 (clone), task3 (clone), task4 (clone)

When creating this kind of tree, I only clone “5 min tasks” and “urgent tasks” leafs of every project, and drag the clones (or move with keyboard) to “All 5 min tasks” and “All urgent tasks”. All subleafs come automatically with the clone, I don’t need to clone them separately. And when I make change to any task in any project, also the clones are affected immediately.

There is also videos how this works in practice:

http://leoeditor.com/screencasts.html

Than you for pointing me to Leo editor and for describing what clones are.
But I prefer to use lightweight web-based apps for my own todos, as it can be used from almost everywhere :smile: